BELLAIRE CLUB NEWSLETTER
After a tour of our permanent new home, the Board of Trustees of the Bellaire Club has given the go-ahead for renovations to start on our spacious new digs. The board and several interested members met Sunday and agreed on the space and interior design plans for our new home. It’s located on the east end of the Maplewood Shopping Center, around the corner from our temporary home at 5653 Beechnut.
The job will be handled by Abbott Contracting, but Larry A. does need experienced volunteers who have paid work experience on commercial construction jobs. No do-it-yourselfers during the major construction, we’ll need those kinds of volunteers later for painting the place!
Larry estimates the job will take more than a month, and flooring is going to be a huge cost. If you really want to help out, please consider making a contribution to the Bellaire Club Moving Fund! (If you make a cash contribution, just be sure to put your name and ‘moving fund’ on the envelope!)
There will be two spacious meetings rooms, a lounge or “Half-Measures” room, a lovely new kitchen and coffee bar and two restrooms. Arch A.’s design theme is cheery, upbeat and “mid-century modern.” It will also be inspiring, with murals quoting the Big Book in the entry way and main meeting room.
While the excitement builds for the new space, things are really jumping at our temporary home.
Margaret D. will chair the Friday $2 meeting with Rick W. as the leader, at 12:15 Friday.
Bryce G. is chairing the Sunday Noon meeting during June. Leading on Sunday is Anne Marie K.
There are several new meetings, including the newly revived “Ask it Basket” meeting at 8 p.m. Wednesday, or check out the Noon Wednesday meeting for a mid-week break.
Also, Gil G., with more than 30 years of sobriety, is leading the God Squad meeting each Monday at 8 p.m.
So come by the new temporary location for a lot of good, old-fashioned sobriety and new-fashioned fellowship, but beware of the dust Larry and his crew are already kicking up just a few doors down.
*The 12 x 12 Group meets daily at 6:30 p.m. Sunday through Friday.
*The Open Door Group meets at 10 a.m. daily.
- There are also daily meetings at 8 p.m., but attendance is way down. Consider attending:
- The Peace of Mind Group meets Sunday.
- The God Squad meets Monday.
- The Brown Table Big Book Study meets Tuesday.
- The “Ask-It Basket” Group meets Wednesday.
- The “Get Real” Triangle Group meets Thursday.
- The “We’ve Just Begun” Group for beginners, with food and fellowship to follow, meets Friday.
- The Good Word candlelight meeting is on Saturday.
- The Sunday Noon Group meets at noon Sundays.
- The Monday Men’s AA Meeting is held at noon Monday.
- The Noon Wednesday meeting is held at noon Wednesday.
- The Women’s ER Group meets every Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
- The Friday $2 Meeting meets at 12:15 Friday.
- The Saturday Noon Group meets every Saturday at noon.
- The Saturday Speaker Meeting is at 6:30 p.m.
It’s a whole new month, so be sure to list your AA Anniversaries on the big white board in the main meeting room. AA birthdays are celebrated at the last meetings of the month, so be sure to tell us when and where you will celebrate!
A great way to honor celebrants is to make a contribution to the Bellaire Club in their honor.
Gift cards are available at the coffee bar.
A membership in the Bellaire Club is just $20 per month, or $200 if you pay for an entire year, which is a great bargain. Membership helps provide an oasis of sobriety in southwest Houston. If you’ve fallen behind in your dues, now is the time to pay up!
“ Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.”– Russell Baker