Week of June 7 – 13
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
June 10, 1935 is the official birth date of AA. This was not the day Bill W. or Dr. Bob found God or decided to start AA. This was the date they found each other. That would be the movie version. Actually, they met earlier but Dr. Bob got drunk again. (Can you relate?) June 10 was when he took his last drink (to steady his nerves for surgery!) and from these unlikely events a successful program of recovery from a hopeless state of mind and body was begun by one human being talking about it with another human being.
This “human connection” becomes key to the spread and success of AA; one successfully recovering drunk talking to a still-suffering drunk. June 10 is a special day for more reasons. Not only initial recovery, but one sober alcoholic talking to another sober alcoholic about whatever is troublesome, be it with a sponsor, counselor, friend or colleague in recovery, the connection has been proven successful time and time again in meeting rooms, diners, telephones – any place two people can connect. The loneliness and despair and isolation we suffered can be broken. We are not alone anymore.
DID YOU KNOW? …LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE AA WE LOVE
- Writing the Big Book barely won approval? (Bill W. had proposed writing the book along with other projects such as AA missionaries, AA treatment centers, etc. All other proposals – fortunately – were rejected, but the book won by only one vote!)
- The separation of AA from the Oxford Group is attributed to the Group’s objection to Bill’s smoking and womanizing? (He died of emphysema and pneumonia January 24, 1971)
- Our concept of being “self supporting through our own contributions” was suggested by John D. Rockefeller? (Bill was seeking funding.)
- Bill’s Story and There Is a Solution were printed first in an attempt to raise money to print the whole book? (It did not work)
- AA is indeed a religion? (Ten lower courts ruled it so and the Supreme Court of the United States in 1997 refused to hear challenges to these rulings, thus the law stands.)
Amazing how things turn out, isn’t it? Once you see the whole picture, that is.
COMING CLUB EVENTS
Don’t forget that the monthly Game and Cupcake Social honchoed by Jonathan L. has been moved to the last Saturday of the month following the noon meeting. The event will include Bingo, Chess, Checkers, Dominoes or Poker or any other game members can get going.
Looks like the fund raiser, the Drunk Mystery Dinner Theatre presentation of Death By Chocolate, an evening of intrigue, excitement and flavors is still in the planning stage. A few kinks to work out and we should we ready to go. You will read all about it here.
Plans for the Open Mike for Musicians evening seem to be moving along with a tentative time of late July being batted about. Certainly worth waiting for.
Fourth of July events are being discussed and will be finalized by the next board meeting.
SOBRIETY BEHIND BARS
Rick W. still needs volunteers to tell their story in the prisons on Friday afternoons. You must first be approved by the Texas Department of Corrections, so Rick will need your full name, date of birth, Texas Drivers License number and address as it appears on your Texas Drivers License. Send to email@example.com You will need your drivers license as ID to get in once approved. Give it a try. It is a most rewarding experience.
AND TODAY’S LEADER IS . . .
- The 12 & 12 Group that meets daily except Saturday has this roster of leaders. Thursday will be Ryan; Friday, Julio; Sunday, Ronald; Monday, Johnny M.; Tuesday, Lawauna S. and Wednesday, Ralph.
- The Thursday Noon Meeting will be led by Kern V.
- Chairing The Thursday Women’s Emergency Room Group in June is Mary F. who has asked Aimie DE. to be the leader. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.
- The Friday Two Dollar Meeting that meets at 12:15 is being chaired this month by Jane E. and Baroque F. will lead the meeting this Friday.
- Don’t forget Taco John’s regular Saturday Noon Meeting.
- The group formerly known as the Saturday Speakers Meeting at 6:00 PM now is an Open Discussion Meeting with a speaker the last Saturday of the month and is in search of a new name.
- At the 11:00 AM. Sunday Speaker’s Meeting, chair Doug DeB., has announced that Jerry C. will be the speaker this Sunday. He has over 10 years sobriety and has become a regular at Bellaire Club and Delta Club meetings. With the sharp wit and timing of a practiced comedian, Jerry presents a great story of recovery. Those of you who missed hearing Jerry when he told it on Memorial Day will have a second chance to hear it. Or, if you heard it, it is certainly worth hearing again
- Jeff T. is chairing The Sunday Noon Meeting and Mark W. will be on hand to lead the meeting this Sunday at 12:15.
- The Monday Noon Hope and Healing Women’s Group is being led this month by Koi D.
- And over on the men’s side, at The Monday Men’s Meeting, Larry A. or Barry K. are manning up and leading the group.
- Rick W. and Robert P. will continue to chair the Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Meeting
- The Red-Eye Special Group that meets every Wednesday 6:30 AM is into its sixth month and seems to be here to stay with Larry A. and Robert P. there to guide it along. Robert P. will be leading the meeting on Wednesday.
- The Wednesday Noon Meeting, the Where-U-At Group is being chaired by Robert P. He has asked Kern V. to lead.
For a complete list of all meetings held at the Bellaire Club, please go to our website bellaireclub.org and click on Meeting Schedule.
PARTING THOUGHTS (ON SUCCESS)
- Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure. Earl Nightingale
- Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. William Feather
- If at first you don’t succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried. David Brent
- If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There’s no sense being a damn fool about it. W. C. Fields