ANNUAL GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Board president, Mary F. has announced that The Annual General Membership Meeting of the Bellaire Club will be held Saturday, August 18 at 1:30. In addition to the “state of the club” report and any business requiring a vote by the membership, the election of new members to the Board of Trustees to replace outgoing members will be held. As time approaches, a sign-up sheet will be posted for those wishing to run for a position on the board.
DRUNK POET’S SOCIETY
It’s official. The quarterly open mike offering of the Bellaire Club’s Drunk Poet’s Society will be held Saturday, August 25 at 8:00 PM. Plenty of time to write down that poem that has been running about your head.
UP THE LADDER TO SUCCESS
Have you noticed the main meeting room might just be a bit brighter, cooler and maybe even a bit quieter? That is because, thanks to the board, the club now owns a 12-foot stepladder and Larry A. and Robert P. have already replaced light bulbs and AC filters. If your response is, “But, didn’t we already own a ladder?,” you are correct. We DID. That was at the old club and it walked away some time before we lost our lease. If those responsible ever make it to the Ninth Step, the financial amend would be about $350.
GAME AND CUPCAKE SOCIAL
Don’t forget the end of the month is fast approaching and time for our monthly Game and Cupcake Social that meets the last Saturday of the month to play card games or board games or anything the crowd can get started. Still in its infancy, those who have attended have had a great time socializing and even raising some money for the club.
The next event will be Saturday, July 28 immediately following Taco John’s Saturday Noon Meeting. Come join the fun.
WHERE THERE’S SMOKE, THERE’S BUTTS
Be on the lookout for our authentic sand-filled smoking pots that the board approved at its last meeting. These will be placed for the convenience of smokers at least 25 feet from the club entrance in compliance with the City of Houston ordinance.
It is birthday time again at the Bellaire Club as the end of the month approaches. We have a board full of celebrants with a wide range of sober time who demonstrate the fact that this program works!
- Aishah will have one year of continuous sobriety and will celebrate with the 6:30 PM 12 & 12 Group.
- Jill B. with one year will celebrate with Thursday 6:30 PM Women’s Emergency Room Group.
- No-Bike-Mike will celebrate his one year with the 8:00 PM Tuesday Scottish Jack Big Book Study Group.
- Vance with one year will celebrate with 6:30 PM 12 & 12 Group.
- Ken K. with two years will celebrate with the Friday 8:00 PM We’ve Just Begun Group and the Saturday 8:00 PM The Good Word Candlelight Group.
- Mary F. will have five years and plans to celebrate with the Thursday 6:30 PM Women’s Emergency Room Group as well as The Sunday Noon Group.
- Larry A. with eight years will celebrate with the Monday Noon Men’s Luncheon Group as well as the Wednesday 6:30 AM Red-Eye Special Group.
- Robert S. will celebrate his eight years with the 8:00 PM Tuesday Scottish Jack Big Book Study Group, the Friday 8:00 PM We’ve Just Begun Group and The Sunday Noon Group.
- Tom K. with 12 years will celebrate with the 10:00 AM Open Door Group.
- Taco John F. will celebrate his 23 years at Taco John’s Saturday Noon Meeting.
- Jim F. with 26 years will celebrate with the Monday 8:00 PM God Squad Group.
- Rick D. will celebrate his 26 years with The Sunday Noon Group.
- Terri M. with 27 years will celebrate with the 8:00 PM Thursday Doug DeBakey’s Big Book Study Group as well as The Sunday Noon Group.
- Rounding out the month of winners will be Steve T. who will celebrate his 28 years with the 8:00 PM Thursday Doug DeBakey’s Big Book Study Group
Our congratulations go out to all of these celebrants of major milestones in their sobriety.
If you are looking for a nice gift to give any of the celebrants, may we suggest making a donation in their honor of any amount you choose to the Bellaire Club so instrumental in their sobriety? That gift will be most appreciated by the celebrants as well as the club. Ask anyone behind the counter for a card.
AND TODAY’S LEADER IS . . .
All of the groups meeting at the Bellaire Club need your support. Remember: you may not need a meeting, but you may be needed at a meeting.
- The Bellaire Club 12 & 12 Group that meets daily except Saturday has this roster of leaders. Thursday will be Ryan; Friday, Julio; Sunday, Ronald; Monday, Johnny M.; Tuesday, Lawauna S. and Wednesday, Ralph.
- The Thursday Noon Meeting will be led by Jerry C. this week.
- Chairing The Thursday Women’s Emergency Room Group is Mary F. who has invited Ginny. to be the leader. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.
- The Friday Two Dollar Meeting that meets at 12:15 is being chaired by Arch A. and world traveler, David D. will be there to lead the meeting this Friday.
- Don’t forget Taco John’s regular Saturday Noon Meeting.
- The group formerly known as the Saturday Speakers Meeting at 6:30 PM now is an Open Discussion Meeting with a speaker the last Saturday of the month
- The 11:00 AM. Sunday Speaker’s Meeting is being chaired by Doug DeB. and he has scheduled Eddie R. to tell his story. With over six years sobriety, Eddie kicked off his sobriety at The Alief Group. He has since moved to Cleveland, Texas where his current home group is The Cleveland Camel Group, but he can still be seen at places like The 8373 Club and The Bellaire Club.
- Russell C. is chairing The Sunday Noon Meeting and the always welcome Georgia T. will be on hand to lead the meeting this Sunday at 12:15.
- The Monday Noon Hope and Healing Women’s Group will be led in July by Adrienne W.
- And over on the men’s side, at The Monday Men’s Meeting, Larry A. or Barry K. are manning up and leading the group.
- Rick W. and Robert P. will continue to chair the lively Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Meeting
- The Red-Eye Special Group thatmeets every Wednesday at 6:30 AM, is celebrating its seventh month with Larry A. and Robert P. there to guide it along. Robert P. will to take the lead Wednesday.
- Robert P. will chair the Wednesday Noon Meeting, the Where-U-At Group and will announce the leader later.
For a complete list of all meetings held at the Bellaire Club, please go to our website bellaireclub.org and click on Meeting Schedule.
PARTING THOUGHTS (ON KEEPING IT SIMPLE)
- Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it. Adolf Hitler
- Life is like art. You have to work hard to keep it simple and still have meaning. Charles de Lint
- For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken
- I have a simple philosophy: Fill what’s empty. Empty what’s full. Scratch where it itches. Alice Roosevelt Longworth
- My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all. Stephen Hawking