GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
The General Membership Meeting of the Bellaire Club last Saturday went smoothly thanks to the leadership of Ed B. and Mary F. A moderate, but dedicated crowd was in attendance. The main event was the election of new board members. Robert P., Margaret D., Ann N and Baroque F. were nominated and elected by acclamation.
In the midst of a sour economy, the club seems to have been able to hold its head well above water and make ends meet. Special thanks to treasurer Larry A. for handling the books for us.
The new board met after the General Membership Meeting and immediately went to work under the leadership of president, Mary F. Heard in the halls are plans for a big Labor Day Celebration that will include most welcomed barbecue brisket. That will be Monday, September 3. Remember that is the day of the week that the club sponsors two great gender specific noon meetings, the gentlemen meeting in the large meeting room and the ladies in the smaller meeting room.
ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
The Bellaire Club’s Drunk Poets Society will present its quarterly open mike offering this coming Saturday at 8:00 PM. The theme is Once in a Blue Moon, commemorating the fact that August has two full moons this month. A rarity of nature, it is the opportunity for writers to share their work with others. The turnout as well as the quality of work presented in the past has been great and this Saturday should be no exception. David D. will once more moderate the event. If you are new to the event, just show up with your work and sign the book and David will call your name when it is time to read. The general rule is no more than three poems not to exceed nine minutes.
It is birthday time again at the Bellaire Club as the end of the month approaches. We have a wide range of sober time that demonstrates the fact that this program works!
- The Thursday 6:30 PM Women’s Emergency Room Group will join Ginny L. in celebrating her eight years sobriety.
- At The Friday 8:00 PM We’ve Just Begun Group, Adam S. with one year will celebrate.
- At the 6:30 PM 12 & 12 Group, Ed R. with 22 years and Ben B. with 10 years will be celebrating.
- The 10:00 AM Open Door Group will have Isaac W. celebrating eight years
- The Sunday Noon Group will have Adam S. with one year, Rick W. with 12 years and Dave O. with 20 years celebrating.
- The Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Group will also have one of its founders, Rick W. celebrating his 12 years.
- Tina C. will have 18 months sobriety this month.
- Steve Carothers, August 1983, Sober Forever.
Our congratulations to all of these celebrants of major milestones in their sobriety.
If you are looking for a nice gift to give any of the celebrants, may we suggest making a donation in their honor of any amount you choose to the Bellaire Club so instrumental in their sobriety? That gift will be most appreciated by the celebrants as well as the club. Ask anyone behind the counter for a card.
AND TODAY’S LEADER IS . . .
All of the groups meeting at the Bellaire Club need your support. Remember: you may not need a meeting, but you may be needed at a meeting.
- The Thursday Noon Group is chaired by Kathleen D. and Bad Knee Marie will be leading this week.
- Chairing The Thursday Women’s Emergency Room Group this week is Ginny T. and she has asked Jill B. to be the leader. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.
- The Friday Two Dollar Meeting that meets at 12:15 is being chaired by Arch A. and Jeff T. has agreed to lead this Friday.
- Don’t forget Taco John’s regular Saturday Noon Birthday Meeting now being led by Debbie M. Also be present will be Taco John and his tacos.
- The 11:00 AM. Sunday Speaker’s Meeting is being chaired by Doug DeB. and he has asked Matt B. to tell his story. While he just celebrated his first year of sobriety, Matt has already developed a reputation as a dynamic speaker with a great story. Matt calls the Post Oak Club home, although his travels open up widespread opportunities to attend a variety of meetings.
- Ann N. is chairing The Sunday Noon Meeting at 12:15 and Rebecca S. will lead this Sunday.
- The Monday Noon Hope and Healing Women’s Group will be led in August by Kathleen D.
- And over on the men’s side, at The Monday Men’s Luncheon Group, Larry A. or Barry K. are manning up and leading the group.
- Rick W. and Robert P. will continue to chair the lively and popular Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Group.
- The Red-Eye Special Group that meets every Wednesday at 6:30 AM, is celebrating its eighth month with Larry A. and Robert P. there to guide it along. Robert P. will be leading Wednesday.
- The Wednesday Noon Meeting, the Where-U-At Group is being chaired by Robert P. and he has asked Jillian C. to take the lead Wednesday.
- The Bellaire Club 12 & 12 Group that meets daily except Saturday has this roster of leaders. Thursday will be Ryan; Friday, Julio; Sunday, Ronald; Monday, Johnny M.; Tuesday, Lawauna S. and Wednesday, Ralph.
For a complete list of all meetings held at the Bellaire Club, please go to our website bellaireclub.org and click on Meeting Schedule.
PARTING THOUGHTS (ON CHANGE)
- They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. Andy Warhol
- He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. Harold Wilson
- It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not. James Gordon, MD
- Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better. King Whitney, Jr.
- We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves. Lynn Hall
- Nothing in the world is permanent, and we’re foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we’re still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it. W. Somerset Maugham