Week of August 2 – 8
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
The annual general membership meeting of the Bellaire Club will be held Saturday, August 18 at 1:30. On the agenda will be the election of four new board members to replace outgoing board members, Anne Marie K., Jeff T. and Russell C. The position left vacant by the resignation of Ed B. also needs to be filled. A sign up sheet for nominations or volunteers is on the board and on the kitchen counter. In order to vote in the election you must be a member of the club whose dues are current
WHERE THERE’S SMOKE, THERE’S BUTTS
They are here! Our brand new smoke pots. Attractive sand filled receptacles for cigarette butts. At least one of them 25 feet from the entrance as required by the City of Houston. (Both were when installed.) All thanks to the board and Anne Marie K. who honchoed the project.
DRUNK POETS SOCIETY
Time once more for the Bellaire Club’s Drunk Poets Society’s quarterly evening of original poetry reading by alcoholics in recovery. Readings are not limited to original work, however. Anyone may bring a favorite poem to share. Nine minutes are allotted each reader. Seasoned moderator, David D. will be on hand to keep things rolling.. Remember to mark your calendars for Saturday, August 25 at 8:00 PM. Come and bring someone with you.
Has certainly NOT gone unnoticed in the main meeting room. Its presence provoking more provocative pronouncements than the appearance of the lamps. Its being there has been justified by several suggestions:
- Open it up, put lights, tinsel, garland and ornaments on it for the winter holiday celebrations.
- Since there are twelve rungs (including the top), put a Step and Traditions on each rung as a visual aid teaching tool.
- Where it leans it is like a giant finger that places emphasis on the words from Chapter III stenciled around the room: “still less control.”
As so often happens, reality is not so dramatic. The truth is that the lens coverings for the florescent lights are an odd size and taking some time to procure. Robert P. is assuring and optimistic that a lens will soon appear, be installed with the help of our new ladder and that the ladder will be put away for safekeeping in Larry A.’s storage unit.
AND TODAY’S LEADER IS . . .
All of the groups meeting at the Bellaire Club need your support. Remember: you may not need a meeting, but you may be needed at a meeting.
- The Thursday Noon Group will be led by Monte S. this week.
- Chairing The Thursday Women’s Emergency Room Group this month is Peggy S. who has invited Mary F. to lead the meeting. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.
- The Friday Two Dollar Meeting that meets at 12:15 is being chaired by Arch A. and he has asked old Autry House regular, Garrett A. to lead this Friday.
- Until further notice, Debbie M. will take charge of Taco John’s Saturday Noon Meeting. Taco John will still be there. With tacos, of course.
- The 11:00 AM. Sunday Speaker’s Meeting is being chaired by Doug DeB. and he has scheduled John D. to tell his story. A former professional athlete with over 10 years sobriety, John can be seen in groups all over town including The Post Oak Club as well as The 24 Hour Club.
- Ann N. is chairing the Sunday Noon Group for the month of August and has asked Paula D. to take the lead this Sunday at 12:15.
- The Monday Noon Hope and Healing Women’s Group will be led in August by Kathleen D. Kathleen will also be the First Monday speaker.
- And over on the men’s side, at The Monday Men’s Luncheon Group, Larry A. or Barry K. are manning up and leading the group.
- Rick W. and Robert P. will continue to chair the lively and ever growing Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Group.
- The Red-Eye Special Group that meets every Wednesday at 6:30 AM with Larry A. and Robert P. there to guide it along. Georgia T. will be leading Wednesday.
- The Wednesday Noon Meeting, the Where-U-At Group is being chaired by Robert P. and he has asked Alice G. to take the lead Wednesday.
- The Bellaire Club 12 & 12 Group that meets daily except Saturday has this roster of leaders. Thursday will be Ryan; Friday, Julio; Sunday, Ronald; Monday, Johnny M.; Tuesday, Lawauna S. and Wednesday, Ralph.
For a complete list of all meetings held at the Bellaire Club, please go to our website bellaireclub.org and click on Meeting Schedule.
Ever have pasta, oatmeal, grits or some other food you are cooking boil over on you and ruin your nice, clean cook top to say nothing of your serenity? Try placing a wooden spoon over the pot and you will have nothing to drink over! Any other useful tips (that work because you have tried them) for house, garage, garden, etc.?
PARTING THOUGHTS (ON THE SEXES)
- Friendship often leads to love, but lust seldom leads to friendship. Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- Before you marry keep both eyes open; after marriage shut one. Jamaican Proverb
- Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed. Albert Einstein
- Why do people persist in a dissatisfying relationship, unwilling either to work toward solutions or end it and move on? It’s because they know changing will lead to the unknown, and most people believe that the unknown will be much more painful than what they’re already experiencing. Anthony Robbins