Week of August 16 – 22
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
The 31st annual general membership meeting of the Bellaire Club, the second in our new location will be held this coming Saturday, August 18 at 1:30. On the agenda will be the election of four new members to the Board of Trustees of the Bellaire Club to replace outgoing members Jeff T., Anne Marie K., and Russell C. Ed B. has already resigned. The requirements for election to the board are one year continuous sobriety plus at least three months membership in the club. Dues current, of course. A sign up sheet for anyone willing to serve on the board is on the kitchen counter and bulletin board. Nominations will also be taken at the meeting.
DRUNK POETS SOCIETY
Wouldn’t you know it, just when The Bellaire Club’s Drunk Poets Society decides to go quarterly with its open mike events, we get Once in a Blue Moon as a theme! No, the theme is not a reflection of the rarity of our performances, but simply takes advantage of a rare event occurring in August.
The date (of the open mike event, that is) is Saturday, August 25. We plan to crank up at 8:00 PM. Bring your original work or a favorite classic poem you would like to read. Sign the numbered sign-up sheet and wait for moderator David D. to call your name. The work you read need not reflect the theme.
Please announce this event at other meetings you attend about town.
It is birthday time again at the Bellaire Club as the end of the month approaches. We have a wide range of sober time that demonstrates the fact that this program works!
- Adam S. with one year will celebrate with the Friday 8:00 PM We’ve Just Begun Group as well as The Sunday Noon Group
- Ginny L. will celebrate her eight years with Thursday 6:30 PM Women’s Emergency Room Group.
- Ben B. will have 10 years and will be celebrating with the 6:30 PM 12 & 12 Group.
- Rick W. with 12 years will celebrate with Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Group and also with The Sunday Noon Group.
- Dave O. will celebrate his 20 years with The Sunday Noon Group.
- Tina C. will have 18 months sobriety this month.
Our congratulations to all of these celebrants of major milestones in their sobriety.
If you are looking for a nice gift to give any of the celebrants, may we suggest making a donation in their honor of any amount you choose to the Bellaire Club so instrumental in their sobriety? That gift will be most appreciated by the celebrants as well as the club. Ask anyone behind the counter for a card.
AND TODAY’S LEADER IS . . .
All of the groups meeting at the Bellaire Club need your support. Remember: you may not need a meeting, but you may be needed at a meeting.
- The Thursday Noon Group is chaired by Kathleen D. who will also lead this week.
- Chairing The Thursday Women’s Emergency Room Group this month is Julie F. and she has asked Margaret D. to be the leader. The meeting starts at 6:30 PM.
- The Friday Two Dollar Meeting that meets at 12:15 is being chaired by Arch A. and Peggy S. has agreed to lead this Friday. We will be in for a treat.
- Don’t forget Taco John’s regular Saturday Noon Birthday Meeting now being led by Debbie M. Also be present will be Taco John and his tacos.
- The 11:00 AM. Sunday Speaker’s Meeting is being chaired by Doug DeB. and he has asked Rachel M. to tell her story. With almost three years sobriety, Rachel attends meetings at The Post Oak Club and the Kingwood Group.
- Ann N. is chairing The Sunday Noon Meeting at 12:15 and Margaret D. will lead this Sunday.
- The Monday Noon Hope and Healing Women’s Group will be led in August by Kathleen D.
- And over on the men’s side, at The Monday Men’s Luncheon Group, Larry A. or Barry K. are manning up and leading the group.
- Rick W. and Robert P. will continue to chair the lively and popular Blankety-Blank It’s Tuesday Noon Group.
- The Red-Eye Special Group that meets every Wednesday at 6:30 AM, is celebrating its eighth month with Larry A. and Robert P. there to guide it along. Arch A. will be leading Wednesday.
- The Wednesday Noon Meeting, the Where-U-At Group is being chaired by Robert P. and he has asked Anne Marie K. to take the lead Wednesday.
- The Bellaire Club 12 & 12 Group that meets daily except Saturday has this roster of leaders. Thursday will be Ryan; Friday, Julio; Sunday, Ronald; Monday, Johnny M.; Tuesday, Lawauna S. and Wednesday, Ralph.
For a complete list of all meetings held at the Bellaire Club, please go to our website bellaireclub.org and click on Meeting Schedule.
After next week’s edition of your weekly newsletter your editor will be taking a month’s break. Publication will resume October 4. Be sure to check the bulletin boards for any upcoming events during this period.
PARTING THOUGHTS (ON GOSSIP)
- We cannot control the evil tongues of others, but a good life enables us to disregard them. Cato the Elder
- No one gossips about other people’s secret virtues. Bertrand Russell
- A rumor without a leg to stand on will get around some other way. John Tudor
- Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you. Spanish Proverb
- The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them. Will Rogers